BACKGROUND: Two entrepreneurial lawyers asked Doctor Of Content to help them promote their new concept – a cable channel devoted to science fiction. But the proposed channel lacked branding, identity, and programming.
GOAL: Create a memorable experience — a vision video that would help persuade financial institutions, “C” level media executives, and future fans in the viability of the concept. Develop the look & feel of a major cable channel on a shoestring budget and feature samples of the programming lineup.
SOLUTION: Doctor Of Content created a mythology – the story of a spaceman from the far future who peers back at one of the great moments in earth history – the launch of the Sci-Fi Channel. The video was presented (as part of a 16 screen video extravaganza) at the National and Western Cable Shows, and to an audience of millions of park attendees at Disney-MGM Studios who later petitioned their cable companies to carry the new channel.
- The channel concept was sold to USA Network for a reported $78 million
- Sci-Fi Channel was launch 9/24/92 to an audience of 3 million people
- Doctor Of Contact produced the channel’s first flagship series – Inside Space
- The channel was later acquired by Universal/NBC for $2.2 billion
- Today, 95,000,000 people receive the Sci-Fi Channel (rebranded: SyFy)